Re: [Xen-users] "netdev watchdog" error and non-working sis900 networkca

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] "netdev watchdog" error and non-working sis900 networkcard - solution
From: henning <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:13:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:19:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:
[...]
Xen and Linux must agree on whether they're using the ioapic/acpi or
not. If the apci= parameter goes on the xen command line, xen will also
add it to Linux's.

Using acpi=off is far from ideal -- its much better to use an ioapic if
you have one.

Is ioapic just another word for acpi?

[...]
Was you're problem that the network failed intermittently when allowing
the ioapic to be used? If so, I'm very interested. If it was just that
it didn't work at all then that suggests a bios bug (possibly solveable
by an upgrade), and isn't a big deal.

The network card was shown in "ifconfig" after putting it up. But it
neither got any dhcp messages and couldn't be assigned an IP address,
any try to access it, e.g. with ifconfig results in the "netdev
watchdog" errors mentioned (see the diffs). So it looks like it's not
working at all, not just intermittently.

I'll see if I can get a BIOS upgrade, or just live with it as it's only
a testing machine which doesn't have to do anything especially reliable.

Thanks for the help and information.
Henning