Re: [Xen-users] mii-tools in guest domain

To: Jamie Moore <jmoore@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] mii-tools in guest domain
From: Derrik Pates <demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:06:42 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:11:49 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I guess this is a little old, but since it lacks a reply...

Jamie Moore wrote:
> Has anyone been able to get mii-tools to work in a guest domain? I am
> trying to use an application we develop within the guest and it uses
> this to extract eth0 information. It does this to determine the alias to
> use before bringing up additional IPs on an aliased eth0 interface.

Utilities like 'mii-tool' and 'ethtool' won't be able to get any useful
information from a domU's virtual Ethernet interface. It is an
"idealized" network interface - it doesn't know about link speeds,
duplex, link state, autonegotiation, or anything like that. (It doesn't
need to, either.)

> SO I guess it is two questions, does mii work in a guest? And will a
> guest domain allow for several different ip’s on an aliased interface?

You can have as many IP aliases as you want on a domU's network
interface. If it's bridged to a physical network, it will ARP for all
those addresses, just like a real NIC would. If you're using a routed
configuration, then obviously you'd need to make sure the additional
addresses are routed to the intended destination. There's nothing
particularly special about it.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx