RE: Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U was [Xen-users] Poorhard d

To: "Tim Freeman" <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U was [Xen-users] Poorhard disk performance on xen-3/dom0
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:06:33 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, esj@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, davidh.davidh@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:11:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Sure, you'll domU kernel may need an initrd (depends on the
> > filesystem) and will need modules installed in the guest
> filesystem.
> > It won't be any larger than a -xenU kernel. The fact that it has
> > privileged and back-end modules built for it doesn't matter -- it
> > can't actually use any of them as Xen won't allow it.
>
> Oh, did this change?  I was under the impression we could
> have a guest domain take control of a NIC, for example.

Only under Xen's control. Just be cause a guest has privileged
components built into it doesn't mean it its acutually allowed to use
them.

"PCI passthrough" as its become known is on its way back into Xen 3.0 --
it just didn't make the 3.0.0 cut off.

Ian