Re: [Xen-users] VT hardware and gaming / 3d Accelerated graphics

To: kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VT hardware and gaming / 3d Accelerated graphics
From: Mogens Valentin <mogensv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:53:18 +0100
Cc: Art@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Daniel Goertzen <daniel.goertzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:56:37 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kip Macy wrote:
That is not far-fetched. However, driver-domains are not supported in 3.0 and I don't believe that they are considered a priority. In addition, no one is currently working on para-virtualized graphics.

AFAICT, this won't really be feasible until quite a lot more of the whole HW platform gets virtualized (which is being talked upon).

This topic has been touched before, and while the development effords are wisely geared towards Xen as a server thingy, I feel full graphics capabilities would be a must-have for serious workstation uses. There's a difference between being able to do 3D video for WS use, and being able to play games.

This will likely be possible at some point, but you'll have to wait a while.

Possibly a -good- while. Nvidia is somewhat interested, at least I managed to get them to open an RFE for Xen-aware drivers, but it's scheduled as a workunit to be acted upon when deemed relevant. IOW, they won't do anything until they see a market and/or are being pressurized to do something about it, meaning 'someone', i.e. the lot of us here, should join nvnews.net and start talking to Nvidia about this, send Nvidia videodriver debugs to the forum, etc.

I guess a severe obstackle will be that Nvidia is a closed-source bizz, while Xen is OSS, so how to get the two parts working together? Well.. OSS people are usually very reluctant to accept non-OSS code, while video manufacturers is 99.7% unlikely to open their code.

The other day I was thinking along those lines:
The Nvidia driver consists of two parts, a binary module interfacing to the video HW and X, and a more-or-less OSS kernel module. If Nvidia could be persuaded to place as much functionality as possible (while adhering to their NDA's) in a fully OSS kernelmodule, Xen developers might have a chance working on getting it integrated, while at the same time being able to help Nvidia get the closed HW/X module to work. I advised Nvidia join Xen-devel; haven't seen them there as yet..