Re: [Xen-users] MD/EVMS on domU?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, evms-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] MD/EVMS on domU?
From: Andy Repton <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:22:37 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:24:17 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the info Steve, (apologies, you'll receive this twice as I
forgot to reply to the list)

> First off, do not have both RAID autodetect and EVMS discover your RAID
> arrays.  (That restriction needs to be noted more prominently in the EVMS
> docs.) They conflict with each other.  Either disable RAID autodetect (use
> fdisk's "t" command to change the partition types to 83 (Linux)) and let
> EVMS discover the arrays, or disable RAID support in EVMS by deleting the
> md-*.so plug-in in /lib/evms/<version>/.

I checked and the partitions are type 83.

> Off hand I don't see any reason why you should not be able to use MD RAIDs
> and EVMS in a domU.

I've re-emerged evms to see if that was the problem but no change.

The kernel has all of the LVM/DM options compiled in. When I
evms_activate -d 9, I get three lines of:

 _3_ LocalDskMgr: check_multipath: Cannot get list of DM devices.

in my log file. Could this point to the problem?

> You should not need MD or EVMS in the dom0 kernel.  dom0 just serves up the
> devices to the domU.  The domU then determines how it wants to use them.

That's my understanding too, so there must be a detail I have missed somewhere!

Andy