Re: [Xen-users] high ? number of dropped packet on xen vif

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:09:53 -0000
"Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hello all,
> > it seems i'm facing a  problem with xen networking.
> > I have some hang up with my NFS server running in domU.
> > I noticed that when i got a hang up i also see an increase of
> > the number of dropped packet of the vif interface.
>
> Which version of Xen are you running here, 3.0.0?

No a xen unstable 2.0 with a changeset around 2.0.6
I'll do an upgrade to 2.0.7
> Is this a soft hang that later recovers?

Yes my  NFS is mounted with a soft option, to reproduce everytime the problem i
copy a 3 Mo or more from /usr/local which is on the harddrive of the client to
a directory of the NFS volume.
Meanwhile i monitor the network on the client, on dom0 and in domU (the NFS
server)
i retransmission of frame from the client to the server and also ICMP frame
from the server to the client indicating that  some packet have been already
received.

Again i'm wondering if some one has already done this setup (putting a NFS
server in a DOMU) if so what are the results ?

> > it seems that dom0 has some trouble with sending the packet
> > to the domU Currently the rate of dropped packet (the TX ones
> > ) is 10% of the total transmited.
>
> Which counters are you referring to here? The TX fields of the vifX.0
> interface?
Yes ifconfig vif2.0 for instance

> > I try to increase dom0 memory but i doesn't seems to have an
> > effect on the rate of dropped packet.
> > Is there some one who has also faced this problem ?
> > Do you have an idea of what can i try to solve the problem ?
>
> If you built from source, please modify xen/Rules.mk to turn on debug=y
> and then rebuild.

I'll do an upgrade soon to the latest 2.0.7 or do you prefer that i do a big
update to Xen 3.0 ?

> Thanks,
> Ian

Regards