[Xen-users] Development vs production. Building domUs.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Development vs production. Building domUs.
From: Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:36:29 +1300
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:37:19 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi There,

We have a small test box (IBM netfinity 3000 - 1 x P3), which we have
been testing Xen running on debian with debian domU's (just to play
around with). I am working towards starting to replace our individual
servers with Xen domUs in Feb next year.

My question is about building DomUs in a development and moving to
production once ready. Our production servers (2 of) will be running
dual xeon with EM64T extensions. How close to this environment do we
need in the development server? Does it need to be EXACTLY the same
server (e.g. nics, mobo, etc) or can you get away with a 'sub-set'
development server?

We are using LVM partitions for the DomUs and to begin with, they will
reside on each servers RAID. Is there some 'best practices' that users
can share with me here?

Thanks, Simon