Re: [Xen-users] Upgrade Problem - Update

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Upgrade Problem - Update
From: Martin Schipany <elcondor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:14:17 +0100
Cc: David Brain <dbrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:09:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
David Brain wrote:
After some more looking around, I think I did find the cause (presumably the 'xen_blk: can't get major 8 with name sd' and subsequent oops is bad)- I'm still at a loss to explain why - this was using the same kernel version and config, that was originally working (with new xen patch, make clean & recompile).

I encountered the same problem today, stepping back from 3.0.0_pre20051128 to 3.0.0_pre20051122 removed the Oops, but I still get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Does anyone know a good reason for this? the config is absolute simple:
root = '/dev/sda1'
disk = ['phy:md/2,sda1,w']

thanks,
        Martin