[Xen-users] Xen and SuSE 10.0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen and SuSE 10.0
From: Nayden Markatchev <markatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:34:24 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:34:20 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Our group wants to start using Xen and since I am the only one with
any experience with it I volunteered to do the installations.  I used
Xen about a year ago for a school project and I made it work with FC2,
but now I am having trouble starting a guest domain under SuSE 10.0.
The Xen kernel boots fine and booting domain0 works out of the box,
but I have forgotten how to create new domains.  I have read Xen User
manual and I have googled the type of error that I am getting but
since I have not resolved my issue I decided to post here.

My setup.
Fresh Suse10.0 install on 2P machine with 1.2G RAM.
dsl106:/etc/xen # rpm -qa | grep xen
xen-doc-pdf-3.0_6715-2
xen-3.0_6715-2
xen-doc-html-3.0_6715-2
xen-tools-3.0_6715-2
xen-doc-ps-3.0_6715-2
kernel-xen-2.6.13-15
dom0 is given 256MB of RAM.

I am trying to start a guest domain using a slightly modified version
of xmexample1 file.  when I type xm create -c /etc/xen/test1 I get the
following error.
Using config file "/etc/xen/test1".
Error: Error creating domain: (2, 'No such file or directory')

Then if I type 'xm list' I get the following output
dsl106:/etc/xen # xm list
Unexpected error: xen.xend.XendProtocol.XendError

Please report to xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/xm", line 10, in ?
    main.main(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xm/main.py", line 710, in main
    rc = cmd(args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xm/main.py", line 226, in xm_list
    doms = server.xend_domains()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendClient.py", line
199, in xend_domains
    return self.xendGet(self.domainurl())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendClient.py", line
152, in xendGet
    return self.client.xendGet(url, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendProtocol.py",
line 86, in xendGet
    return self.xendRequest(url, "GET", args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendProtocol.py",
line 170, in xendRequest
    val = self.handleStatus(resp.version, resp.status, resp.reason)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendProtocol.py",
line 106, in handleStatus
    return self.handleException(XendError(message))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendProtocol.py",
line 132, in handleException
    raise err
xen.xend.XendProtocol.XendError: Internal server error

Typing 'xm list' again gives me that only dom0 is running.

I suspect that the problem is with a wrong configuration in the test1
file. Here is my entry.

# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-xenU"
memory = 64
name = "ExampleDomain"
###  /dev/cciss/c0d0p4 is the roor partition I created with yast
### dirinstall for the guest domain [from README.SuSE]
###
disk = [ 'phy:cciss/c0d0p4,hda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
extra = "4"