[Xen-users] SOLUTION: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scr

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] SOLUTION: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts are not working.
From: "Bonnell, David" <David_Bonnell@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:01:27 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:37:35 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I’ve had this problem for two days myself but until now did not know why.   After pulling the latest Xen unstable source and building it I noticed the new “Hotplug scripts are not working” error and checked my udev installation.  Everything seemed to be there but udevd was not running and terminated immediately after starting without any error.  I updated udev and hotplug from the Fedora development tree but it made no difference.

Strace showed that udevd was aborting because it could not resolve GLIBC_2.4 in libc.so.6.  Rpm reported I had glibc 2.3.90-6, not the 2.4 udevd was looking for.  The latest glibc package on the Fedora development branch is still 2.3.something so updating glibc with yum was not going to fix the problem.

I downloaded the latest udev/hotplug source from kernel.org (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html) and compiled it and installed it and the problem is resolved.  (I had to add ‘#include <asm/types.h>’ before ‘#include <linux/netlink.h>’ in udevd.c and udevmonitor.c to get them to compile as netlink.h uses the __u32 type defined in <asm/types.h>.  YMMV).

David Bonnell

Corporate Architect

BMC Software

 ÈCell:     +44 (772) 558-9468         " Web:  http://www.bmc.com

É Phone: +44 (118) 986-9245         + Email: dbonnell@xxxxxxx

:  Skype: dbonnell

The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged. This email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization named above. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system.