[Xen-users] Xen in VMWare 4.5 - SuSE 9.3 vs. 10.0

To: "Xen-Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen in VMWare 4.5 - SuSE 9.3 vs. 10.0
From: "Bowler, David" <david.bowler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:04:19 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:01:56 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've come across an oddity in running Xen within VMWare - at least it's
odd to me.  As a recent mail indicated, I've had trouble running recent
versions of Xen within VMWare 4.5 using SuSE 9.3.

The failure I see is similar to one reported by Tim Newsham in June -
VMWare 4.5 panic while Dom0 is coming up (late in the process).  Tim was
able to work around this by disabling kudzu.  I don't seem to be able to
replicate this work-around on a current system.

Recently I upgraded to SuSE 10.0, and was able to successfully run Xen
within VMWare using the version of Xen that ships with SuSE 10.0.  Using
a recent pull from xen-unstable, I am not able to run Xen inside VMWare.
Does anyone have insight?  Does anyone know what changeset was used for
the xen version with 10.0?  I have noticed that the version shipping
with 10.0 uses a 2.6.13 kernel for Dom0, while my xen-unstable is still
using 2.6.12.

David