Re: [Xen-users] network in general, when routed when bridged?

To: Sueveges Gyoergy <georg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] network in general, when routed when bridged?
From: Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:43:12 -0400
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:40:29 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 14:24 +0200, Sueveges Gyoergy wrote:
> Hi all
>
>   I'm now a little bit confused with networking. When should be bridging
> used? And When should be the routed network used?
> When I have one public IP address, and for the domU-s I would have private
> ones (192.168....) then can I use bridged network?
> Unfortunetly in docu I cannot see enough info for the routed network
> settings (probably they assume that one is familiar with networking :))
> Thnx for the answers
>
> George

>From what I can piece together of your issue you probably want a
scenario like this.

                --------------- non rfc 1918 - Internet Address

                        | eth0

                      dom0

                        | eth1

                ---------------- rfc 1918 - Non Internet Routable
                 | | | | | | |
                domU,s network

dom0 configured for ip forwarding, iptables PREROUTING chain to forward
traffic from Internet DA to domU.

This would be used for access to the domU's via the Internet Address
used for the dom0.

dom0 configured for ip forwarding, iptables POSTROUTING chain to forward
traffic from domU to Internet.

This would be used when the domU's need to access the Internet.

In your case you should diagram your traffic flow, setting things up
properly requires an understanding of the flow of packets and how you
want to manipulate those packets. Big difference in how one sets up a
client side app, versus a server.

Regards,
Ted

Regards,