Re: [Xen-users] xen and 64 bit host OSes

[32 bit Xen on 64 bit]
> > Should work - what version of Xen were you using?
>
> I used the Xen 2.0 and it holds after requesting some modules. With Xen 3.0
> it boots without that.
>
> First I tried the SuSE 9.3 Xen kernel, but that one stops after "NET:
> Registered protocol family 16"...

I suspect that's because of some quirk of your mobo...  Xen 2.0 is happy with
the CPU but tripping up because of some other hardware support.  Ditto for
SuSE 9.3, which includes Xen 2.0 binaries.

Xen 3.0 uses different platform initialisation code to be compatible with more
systems - that's probably what fixed your problem.  32-bit Xen 3.0 would
probably be happy on your system too ;-)

> > It really *should* work on the unstable tree now, since it's in
> > pre-release stabilisation.  Can you try again with the latest unstable?
> > If it doesn't work, now would be a good time to let us know ;-)
>
> My version is from 2005-09-14 04:22 (xen-unstable-install-x86_64.tgz).
> Maybe I have used the wrong one? Do I need some special configuration for
> SMP? These were my first steps, so I tried the binary ones. Should I make
> my one Xen kernel?

There was talk of enabling SMP by default but it appears not to be the case in
the standard xen0 / xenU kernels.  Make your own Xen kernel and it will
(probably) Just Work :-)

HTH,
Mark