RE: [Xen-users] AMD64 status?

To: "Paul Reilly" <pareilly@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] AMD64 status?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:30:04 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:35:42 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The current stable (2.0.7) does not support 64-bit.

Current unstable(3.0) supports 64-bit with 64-bit guest OS, but to
support 32-bit guest and 64-bit host, the Xen kernel needs to have a cpu
with extra hardware to support the virtualization, and those processors
aren't available just yet... [When AMD release the processor with SVM
[Pacifica], and Intel release their VTx [Vanderpool] technologies, this
will be possible, as well as running non-open-source OS's on top of Xen.
This will happen at some point in the future].

I doubt anyone who's really serious about their servers are using Xen
3.0 for production today, but it should be usable for some experiments
at the moment, and once it gets into 3.0-testing should stabilize and
eventually turn into 3.0-stable. Someone from the actual Xen-Source will
have to answer about when this is likely to happen...

--
Mats