Re: [Xen-users] How to use a newer Kernel with 2.0.7

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to use a newer Kernel with 2.0.7
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 04:34:18 +0100
Cc: Patrick Scharrenberg <pittipatti@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 03:33:20 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> When I do a make dist in testing the Makefile fetches an builds a 2.6.12er
> kernel!
> How old was your testing-tarball you used?

I downloaded my testing using hg but I went and built some more copies to see
if I could figure out what was going on.  It seems to work for me in the
2.0.7 tarball as well...

The directory is called linux-2.6.11 but it has the patch applied.  There's
also the vmlinuz-2.6.11.12-xen0 that I saw when building on -testing.  As I
mentioned earlier you can check the patch level of the source by doing:

head linux-2.6.11-xen0/Makefile

And checking the value of EXTRAVERSION

If it has a number in it (before the Xen stuff) then it got patched.

Are you *really really* sure that you're not getting a patched kernel?  Have
you tried booting it to see what number it displays?  What do you see if you
issue the "head" command above?  What about "ls -l dist/install/boot"?

HTH,
Mark