Re: [Xen-users] Trying to build a stable XEN server

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Trying to build a stable XEN server
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:43:14 +0100
Cc: Barry Flanagan <barryf-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Max E Baro <MEB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:43:29 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Disable USB in the bios and things will be stable. It is a known problem
> with a number of Dells, but as yet there is no official fix as far as I
> know. Once USB is disabled it'll be solid as a rock.

This is some weird Dell thing; Linux does a workaround to avoid the problem
but it wasn't (originally) available in Xen.  I *thought* that recent
releases would Just Work...

Anyhow, disabling the USB in the BIOS fixes the problem, as does (in Xens with
the fix) adding "noirqbalance" to the command line.

Max: the 2.6 port of Linux is also stable, it's just a matter of preference
really.  Which OS you run in dom0 shouldn't matter for this problem under
2.0.

Cheers,
Mark