[Xen-users] Small distro for DomU?

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Small distro for DomU?
From: Tim Hudoba <tim.hudoba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:53:10 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:51:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a very small domU that will act as an SSH access point.  I'm trying to find a good distro that will run as "little" (less mem, less hdd space, less pkgs installed) as possible.

Because I'm running Dom0 from FC4 I'm only familiar with the 2.6 kernels.  This excludes DSL & Puppy Linux as I do not have a compiled 2.4 XenU kernel.

ttylinux looks like it will work for a text based access point, however I would like to run a vncserver within domU (tunneling it through ssh of course).  Because of this I will need a small Xwin mgr. installed (fluxbox).

In my opinion a "Core" install of FC4 is too big ~500Meg and it has a lot of packages I feel are not needed in domU.  Because of this I'm looking to run something other than FC4 in domU.

My questions are:

Does anyone know of a good secure minimal distro with 2.6 kernel and X capabilities?

  or

What techniques have you used to create a minimal image?

Thanks much for any help

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you.