Re: [Xen-users] Ideal(istic) Xen firewall design

Hi B.

B.G. Bruce wrote:

>>Option C-v2
>>===========
>>                            Internet
>>                          eth1 |
>>            ___________________|____________________
>>            |        __________|__________         |
>>            |        |     Firewall      |         |
>>Local eth0 =|========|    (Shorewall)    |=========|= eth2 DMZ (optional)
>>            |        |___________________|         |
>>            |             eth3| |eth4              |
>>            | ______________  | |  _______________ |
>>            | | Web Server |  | |  | iPaq Server | |
>>            | |  (Apache2) |  | |  | (Bluetooth) |=|= USB Host #1
>>            | |____________|  | |  |_____________| |  (for BT Dongle)
>>            |          eth0 \ | | / eth0           |
>>            | _______________\| |/                 |
>>            | | Mail Server | | |                  |
>>            | |  (Courier)  | | |                  |
>>            | |_____________| | |                  |
>>            |          eth0  \| |                  |
>>            |                 | |                  |
>>            |             br0 | | br1              |
>>            |        _________|_|_________         |
>>            |        |                   |         |
>>            |        |       dom0        |         |
>>            |________|___________________|_________|
>>
>>Here, it is hoped that the bridges will tie the interface names in
>>the Firewall domain, and still allow the domUs to be restarted.
>>    DETAILS:
>>        - eth0, eth1 and eth2 are physical devices hidden from dom0
>>        - USB Host #1 is also hidden from dom0
>>        - eth2, eth3, and eth4 are essentially DMZ zones as far
>>          far as the Firewall is concerned.
>>
>>This sort of thing had been my original plan, however I've so far been
>>unable to create workable bridges ... I'll keep trying.
>>(ie. How do I create br0 and br1 in dom0 without physical interfaces?)
>>For tighter control it might be an idea to create another vif from
>>the dom0 to the Firewall _just_ for dom0 time updates, etc.
>>

>Sorry, haven't had time to follow the thread completely, but I've done
>something similar to your C-V2 (using the dummy driver (dummy0-3).  Have
>you thought of/tried this?

Thought _and_ tried it without much success.
Mind you that was a week or so ago, and I've learnt more since.
Problems/questions I had included:
    - how do I use multiple dummies! (*snicker*)
       ie. dummy0 and dummy1
       EDIT: scrub that :
          modprobe dummy -o dummy0
          modprobe dummy -o dummy1
    - is there any advantage/reason to try vlan or tun/tap devices?

I understand from various postings that I need to manually create the
extra bridges before bringing up the Firewall domain.
I guess I could do that in a number of ways,
but is there a 'Xen approved' method?

For a bridge that I want dom0 to communicate on, I assign an IP to that
bridge.
However for bridges that dom0 has nothing to do with I should not assign
IPs.
Correct?
If this is the case, why do I need a dummy at all?

So the diagram ends up being like this, maybe????

Option C-v3
===========
                               Internet

                                eth1
            ______________________|_______________________
            |        _____________|_______________       |
            |        |        Firewall           |       |
Local eth0 =|========|       (Shorewall)         |=======|= eth2 DMZ (optional)
            |        |___________________________|       |
            |               eth4  |  eth5                |
            | ______________  | eth3  |  _______________ |
            | | Web Server |  |   |   |  | iPaq Server | |
            | |  (Apache2) |  |   |   |  | (Bluetooth) |=|= USB Host #1
            | |____________|  |   |   |  |_____________| |  (for BT Dongle)
            |          eth0 \ |   |   | / eth0           |
            | _______________\|   |   |/                 |
            | | Mail Server | |   |   |                  |
            | |  (Courier)  | |   |   |                  |
            | |_____________| |   |   |                  |
            |          eth0  \|   |   |                  |
            |                 |   |   |                  |
            |                br1  |  br2                 |
            |                 !  br0  !                  |
            |        |          dom0           |         |

Thanks for the hint, I was just compiling vlan support into dom0 when
your message arrived, so you've probably saved me from wandering
further into a pointless excercise! :)
I'll start playing with dummies instead! lol
Better have a coffee first, in case I spit ... I'll quit now :)

Marcus.