Re: [Xen-users] Serial port in domU

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 15:34, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > I don't use it for networking, but for text messaging - it talks to a
> > database and some other processes, i.e. I'd really like to avoid
> > having the userspace driver in dom0. Is that somehow possible? I only
> > know about dedicating whole PCI devices to domains but how about
> > giving them serial ports? Is that possible?
>
> It's doable technically but might require a bit of hacking on Xen and the
> tools to make it work.
>
> Otherwise the most straightforward way to deal with this would be to just
> share through dom0.

Another posible solution:

Get a $10 USB->Serial adaptor, and share the USB device into domU.
Those adaptors have some different timings compared to "real" serial ports,
but if its just for AT Commands/GSM TextMessaging, you should be fine.

(Does sharing individual USB Devices work, even if they require a kernel
module driver? Or do you have to hand over the entire PCI device of the USB
HCI to domU?)

/Ernst