Re: [Xen-users] problem when building xen from source by gcc4

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Wei Lu wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Jerone Young wrote:
>
> > On 7/14/05, Wei Lu <welu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi every body
> > >         I am running fedora 3, and try to build the xen from the source
> > > tree. When I use the gcc 4 , compilier complians for
> > >
> > > /usr/src/xen-2.0.hg/xen/include/asm/processor.h:175: error: array type has
> > > incomplete element type
> > >
> > > this is wellknown problem of the compability of gcc 4; then I swithc to
> > > gcc 3.3.6 or lower version to make the xen, this time the compiler
> > > complian for
> >
> > Xen 3.0 will be gcc4 compliant. Xen-unstable is your best bet if you
> > want to use gcc4.
> >

> > > gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe
> > > -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC
> > > -m32 -march=i686 -fPIC -I../../tools/python/xen/lowlevel/xu
> > > -I../../tools/libxc -I../../tools/libxutil -Ixen/lowlevel/xc
> > > -I/usr/include/python2.4 -c xen/lowlevel/xc/xc.c -o
> > > build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/xen/lowlevel/xc/xc.o -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall
> > > -Werror
> > > cc1: error: invalid option `tune=pentium4'
> >
> > tune=pentinu4 is not understood by gcc 3.3 .. I would remove this from
> > the "Makefile".
>
> I remove the options in all the makefiles I can find in the source tree,
> but when make world, the option is still there, Is it generated by
> autoconf? and My cpu is xeon, could it be the reason?

We found the reason is the gython is built in gcc 4, so either by
rebuilding python gcc 3.3 or 3.2 or  modify the file
/usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile to remove any "mtune=pentium4" compiler
option.

It works now.

The lesson is fedora 3 uses lots of libs with higher version than the one
expected by xen, for example gcc and libcurl.