[Xen-users] Serious performance problems - is Xen not ready for producti

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Serious performance problems - is Xen not ready for production use?
From: Patrick Hess <posi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:03:48 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:02:42 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I hope my current problems with Xen 2.0.5 are related to my own stupidity - otherwise I'm getting the impression that Xen is not ready for productional use at the current stage.

I tried to migrate a dedicated web/mailserver to a Xen machine yesterday. The original server is a Celeron 2Ghz with 256MB, the new machine running Xen is an Athlon 2400 with 512M. So I created a domU with 256M memory, made a copy of the old system, adjusted fstab, networking and started it up. OS is a debian woody.

Everything seems to work - all services are there and working so the system itself is working ok. But: when accessing resources like squirrel webmail or accessing the IMAP service the machine is very slow (compared to old setup). The load average climbs easily to values above 6, 12 was the highest value that I got when playing with a single client. Old system was never used in a way that a lot CPU power was needed, load avg stays there normally below 0.05-0.1 -- on the Xen setup the load never dropped below 2.5 (!!).

If anyone has an idea what causes this and how to fix it I would be really happy because currently I see no way migrating the server to the Xen-based system.

Together with the still unsolved question about ballooning the memory this caused my impression that I shouldn't use Xen in production environment (see also my message from 06/28/2005 03:47 'Can't increase memory size during runtime' or 'problem to balloon memory beyond initial allocation' from Xuehai Zhang (07/07/2005 06:30). This is really sad because I really like Xen and WOULD like to use it...

No, /lib/tls is not there ;)