Re: [Xen-users] DomU: Unable to find swap-space signature

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU: Unable to find swap-space signature
From: John Smith <netman1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:48:30 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:47:35 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 05:40:20 +0200
> "John Smith" wrote:
> >     my Debian DomU is unable to find it's swap space and
> > gives 'Unable to find swap-space signature'. I allocated it
> > with 'disk = ['phy:sda8,sda8,rw','phy:sda9,sda9,rw']' in it's
> > config file and put it in /etc/fstab but swapon gives the afore
> > mentioned message. Anybody got a clue?
>
> "John Fairnbairn" wrote:
>
> Not sure if someone already addressed your question. If not....
>
> mkswap /dev/sdXY
>
> if you haven't already. Sounds like it just hasn't been formatted into
> swap space yet.
>
> "Fajar A. Nugraha" wrote:
>
> Assuming you DID create and allocate /dev/sda9 on domain-0 (e.g. on your
> real disk) for dom-U's swap space, try
>
> mkswap /dev/sda9
>
> IMHO, the common method is to export block device (partition, loopback
> file, or LVM) in domain-0 to dom-U as sda1/2 or hda1/2,
> so instead of
>
> disk = ['phy:sda8,sda8,rw','phy:sda9,sda9,rw']
>
> it might be better to use
>
> disk = ['phy:sda8,sda1,w','phy:sda9,sda2,w']
>
> BTW, "w" should be enough

Both Fajar and John were dead on : the swapspace wasn't initialized.

For future reference :

- check swap space usage with 'cat /proc/swaps'
- initialize swap space with 'mkswap /dev/<swapfilesystem>'
- place swap space filesystem in /etc/fstab :
   '/dev/<swapfilesystem> none swap sw 0 0'
- activate with 'swapon -a'

Cool tip, Fajar, on the numbering, that way you can use the same
DomU internal configuration in all virtual vms.

Thanks guys.

Sincerely,

Jan.