Re: [Xen-users] OpenMosix and Xen

> > I would like to mount Xen Virtual Machines on a OpenMosix Cluster. Can I
> > do that? I have seen a Vincent Hanquez patch in OpenMosix sourceforge
> > page.

Vincent's been working to make the OpenMosix kernel run in a Xen guest.

> I don't think that that would be possible with xen. OpenMosix migrates
> processes on operating system level, whereas Xen adds another scheduler
> beneath the OS.

As Ernst said, Xen isn't an app, it's a hypervisor: it runs under *all* of the
guest OSes.  Because of this, OpenMosix won't be aware of it and can't
parallelise it.

Vincent's patch is to enable you to tie multiple Xen virtual machines
(possibly on separate host) together to make one large OpenMosix virtual
machine.

With vanilla Xen, you can already migrate running domains around a cluster to
load balance.  There's not really a convenient "split" to parallelise a whole
guest OS transparently across multiple hosts.

HTH,
Mark