Re: [Xen-users] very basic doubts

To: Piyush Porwal <porwalpiyush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] very basic doubts
From: Wyatt <wyatt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:52:19 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:51:25 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
There are a few methods for doing this, depending on how much free disk space you have. IMHO, the easiest way is to install on a totally different partition (run the installation disk, install a minimum install to that partition, being sure *not* to write any boot loader. Then, from Domain 0 (host) you select that partition as the one that you want to start, by using a configuration file similar to this one:

[root@persephone ~]# cat /etc/xen/xen.conf
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
memory = 64
name = "Mail"
disk = ['phy:hda5,hda5,rw']
root = "/dev/hda5 ro"

(assuming that the partition you installed on was hda5).

To start this domain, you can type 'xm create /etc/xen/xen.conf -c' (assuming your config file is xen.conf). If all goes well, you should boot up and get a working console for your other domain.

--
Wyatt

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction
listen to weather forecasts and economists?
                -- Kelvin Throop III