Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain

To: Jeremy Fang <balanceinfotech@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain
From: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:26:09 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:25:08 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy Fang wrote:
According to the manual, it says: "The first step in creating a new domain is to prepare a root filesystem for it to boot off. .... A simple way to do this is simply to boot from your standard OS install CD and install the distribution into another partition on your hard drive." My current df output is like the following: Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3             33198856   2564736  28947700   9% /
/dev/sda1               101089     24895     70975       26% /boot
none                     65536         0          65536        0% /dev/shm
If I put RedHat 8.0 in CD and boot from there, which partition I am going to choose from ? Really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this setup.

It looks like you used up all your hard drive space in one partition(unless your harddrive is bigger than 34 gig).

Either install parted and resize your / partition, or reinstall and set up smaller partitions when you get to the fdisk stage.

It looks like your install took 2.5GB. Carving off 4-5 GB ought to cover that installation fine. (You can go less than that, but you might need to stretch things out over multiple partitions in the future.) It's up to you...

Once you're done with either of those steps, reboot off the CD again, and do a fresh install to a different place than your original install(say /dev/sda4 or 5 or 6). When you get to the finalize/set up your kernel/configure bootdisk phase, be careful you don't overwrite your base install.

Does RedHat use GRUB? I think it's a requirement for booting Xen, so be prepared to set that up as well.

For starters, download the 2.0-stable-install tgz and try booting that. After you get a working system, you can start fiddling with building your own XenLinux kernels.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/