Re: [Xen-users] Windows O/S on Xen

On 16 Jun 2005, at 20:26, Jeb Campbell wrote:

Joseph Fisher wrote:

To whom it may concern,
I see in the overview page of Xen that a port of Windows XP was developed for an earlier version, but is no longer available, due to licensing restrictions...
Are any Windows O/S's supported?
What about Windows 2000?

As the Windows kernel needs to be modified and Microsoft controls distribution (and the source) -- No.

However, Xen is adding support for Vanderpool/VT (Intel) and Pacifica (AMD) which will allow *unmodified* guests to run (Like Solaris, Windows, etc).

I think it will be working for the Xen 3.0 release, however I'm not sure about availability of hardware.

Is there not a chance microsoft would make a modified version available to people who already have licenses? Or are they more concerned with pushing their own virtual server product...