xen, xensource, community, logo, wiki and licencing (Was: Re: [Xen-users

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xen, xensource, community, logo, wiki and licencing (Was: Re: [Xen-users] Copyright Question (Logo))
From: Gildas LE NADAN <gildas.le-nadan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:51:15 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:50:26 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Philipp Winkler wrote:
Hi list,

I am using Xen and I want to set up a german community site all about Xen.
I´d like to use the logo
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/graphics/xenlogo.gif or
even modify it to fit my pages layout.
Would this be ok for you guys?

Regards,
Philipp

Hi,

I think Philipp raised an interesting question, as I was also willing to use the logo as a basis for a community site logo.

This makes me ask a more general question on Intellectual Property : Xen's source code is clearly under GPL, but logo, documentation and even the yet-to-be-official wiki have no mention of licence, owner nor of usage rights (see http://www.debian.org/logos/ for an example).

I believe that is it the right moment to solve all possible IP issues once and for all : Having a contributing community is probably the biggest advantage Xen has against proprietary solutions, and true community support can't happen serenely if such things are not clear enough.

Sincerely,
Gildas