Re: [Xen-users] supported distributions

To: Arijit Ganguly <aganguly@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] supported distributions
From: Mark Porter <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:17:30 -0600
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:16:50 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you used the xen installer, it installed a kernel with very limited support for block devices. It looks like you are using at least a SCSI HBA or maybe even a RAID controller. The driver for this interface is probably not in the default kernel. Most distributions either install a kernel with the driver for your hardware built-in or an initial ram disk image with the driver.

The easiest solution is to
   download the source, and expand the xen-2.0 directory
   cd to the xen-2.0 directory and run "make world"
cd into the linux-2.6.11-xen0 directory and run "make ARCH=xen xconfig" (or menuconfig if you don't have X) build whatever drivers you need for the hard drives into the kernel, make modules for everything else (usb support, other filesystems, network cards, etc)
   cd ../ to the xen-2.0 directory
   run "make install"
That should build and install your custom kernel.

Good luck,
Mark

Arijit Ganguly wrote:

All, I was wondering what distributions of linux are supported inside Xen. I built the Xen kernel image on my Red Hat Enterprise 3 machine, and then specify the menu.conf entry as: title Xen kernel xen.gz dom0_mem=128000
module vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/sda6 ro console=tty0

When I boot this image, I get an error like unable to mount root sda6

Ithe Red Hat Enterprise3 image however mounts it perfectly fine. My machine is dell pe1800 dual processor (server class). i hope Xen is not just confined to desktops, because it wrked fine on a debian desktop.
Arijit