Re: [Xen-users] how to install a comeplete guest OS from a CD

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 09:45:40AM +0200, Marius H?rstad Kjerkreit wrote:
> I suppose you would simply set up the domU to load the same kernel
> image and initrd as isolinux does from the cd. You'll also have to
> make the cd available to the dom somehow.

The problem is that the installation kernel is going to expect to have
a normal PC's hardware at its command and knows nothing about Xen's
paravirtualization.  Likewise the hardware detection routines & so
forth.  Come the day we have VT or Pacifica CPUs maybe this trick can
be made to work within Xen's scope.

> On 28/05/05, JIT LEISHANGTHEM <jleishan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >    I was wodering how to install a whole guest OS by
> > booting off from the CDROM as in VMware. I did install
> > a debian base system using debootstrap. But what if i
> > want to install Fedora Core. I created the diskimages
> > for "/" and swap as given in the XEN manual using dd.

Scope out Progeny's rpmstrap, which alleges to do for Fedora Core 2,
FC3, and CentOS4 what debootstrap has long done for Debian.  I just
added that to my scratchpad http://www.two14.net/xen/InstallingGuests
after reading about it in an earlier post.  In another week or two I'll
have time once again to play with Xen and transfer that and any other
material that's still relevant over to the official Wiki.

--
Some people, when confronted with a problem, think
"I know, I'll use regular expressions."