Re: [Xen-users] POWER5 & XEN

IBM people are working on the Xen PPC port ;-) This is based on rHype, IBM's open source research hypervisor (not the one they sell). I believe the intention is for it to be compatible with the existing IBM / PPC hypervisor interface.

sHype is IBM's experimental hypervisor with mandatory access control extensions (like SELinux but at the virtual machine, rather than the OS level). Another team from IBM are working on porting these extensions to Xen. This security work ("XenSE") isn't for fixing bugs in Xen but rather to enable a new level of security.

A particularly nice application for Xen would be enabling load balancing across clusters of IBM's PPC970 based blades. Another nice side effect of this work is that you'll be able to use the same Xen-based virtual machine management tools across all platforms (x86, x86_64, PPC, IA-64) because they'll all run Xen.

Cheers,
Mark