Re: [Xen-users] Crashing mythtv, mysqld and NAN errors all over the plac

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, george@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Crashing mythtv, mysqld and NAN errors all over the place in a domain
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:05:56 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:11:13 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Im trying to build a mythtv domain - its almost working - it can see
> thje DVB cards, and can record and so on, but occasionally (usually
> when MythTV is hitting the mysql database on the same domain) im
> getting some wierd crashes in MythTV.
> When it crashes, the process (mythbackend) says 'killed' -

Weird.  So you're assigning the DVB cards to this domain...  Have you
remembered to hide the card from dom0?  Does Xen confirm that this hiding has
occurred when it boots up?

Can you post menu.lst, the domain's config, the output of lspci (under vanilla
linux) and the output of xm dmesg?

> 1. is is possible the kernel is killing the process because its
> misbehaving? dmesg doesnt say anything like this

It could be...  But a kernel error could be occurring whilst this process is
running.

> 2. The domain is allocated 256meg of ram - just before it crashes, it
> seems to have around 4 megs of ram left (using top), and loads of swap
> space (but its used NO swapspace which seems suspect). If I decrease
> the ram to 32meg, it does use the swapspace, but still crashes.

It's very strange for Linux not to use any swap space!  If you don't try
assigning a device to the domain and use it as a fully unprivileged domain,
does it behave more normally?  I can't see why it would make a difference
though...

> 3. When its gone wrong, there seems to be a problem with other
> services as well - sshd wont let me connect (but recovers after 5 mins
> or so) and mysqld also crashes (with errors in the log that dont tell
> me much - see below).

Ouch!

> 6. It crashes even when I dont have the DVB cards 'passed through' to
> the domain, so its not a driver issue.

Ah OK, that's very weird.  Is it just MythTV that breaks this?  What happens
if you try running it in another domain?

> 7. The other thing thats happening in this domain, is that im getting
> NaN (not a number) reported all over the place  (eg, in top it reports
> NaN% processor usage) and mythtv keeps building queries that say to
> insert NaN into a table. This seems associated with times more than
> anything.

That's probably a clue as to the source of the error but it's not obvious to
me what it could be.

> 8. It looks to me a lot like the domain is running out of resources of
> some kind - perhaps memory and its refusing to use the swap space for
> some reason?

Are you sure swap space is configured OK?

> 9. I am getting errors about the hardware clock when the domain boots,
> but I expect this as I have not passed through

Yeah, that's normal.  Domains can't program the hardware clock directly, nor
do they need to.

> 10. Also, sleep has bombed a couple of times, with a ASSERT error
> (Assert(time > 0)) - could this be related to the 'time is going
> backwards' issue?

"Time going backwards" is a Xen error and probably not exactly the problem
here.  Nonetheless, something weird does seem to be happening to time on your
system.

> 11. Would I benefit from upgrading Xen to the latest testing version?
> is this a known issue?

You could try it.  There are a few bug fixes in -testing but I don't know of
anything in your version that'd cause this to happen...

Cheers,
Mark