[Xen-users] Installing NFS server on unprivileged domain

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Installing NFS server on unprivileged domain
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 23:43:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 May 2005 03:43:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have been delighted with my experiences with Xen thus far but have
stumbled on a bit of a problem.  We have a virtual machine we would like
to use for Linux Terminal Services.  This requires NFS server.  I have
not been able to make this work using Xen 2.0.5 and the 2.6.10 kernels.
In order to create custom kernels, I installed from source.

First I tried to make a unique kernel from 2.6.10-xenU so I copied the
xen-2.0/linux-2.6.10-xenU directory to xen-2.0/linux-2.6.10-xenUNFS.  I
went do dist/install and copied boot/config-2.6.10-xenU to
config-2.6.10-xenUNFS and copied lib/modules/2.6.10-xenU to 2.6.10-
xenUNFS.

I edited xen-2.0/Makefile to also make linux-2.6-xenUNFS.  I went into
the linux-2.6.10-xenUNFS directory and did a make ARCH=xen menuconfig
and enabled NFS server first by compiling it into the kernel and then as
a module.  I went to the xen-2.0 directory and did a make && make
install.  I copied /lib/modules/2.6.10-xenUNFS into the
domain's /lib/modules directory.

When I start the NFS service, it fails at rpcidmapd because it cannot
find sunrpc and there is no rpc_pipes file system.  Indeed, there is no
sunrpc module file anywhere including /lib/modules/2.6.10-
xenUNFS/kernel/net/sunrpc - in fact no net/sunrpc directory.

I thought that I perhaps mangled this custom kernel so I ripped it all
out and made the same changes to 2.6.10-xenU.  The same results.  So, I
tried the same for 2.6.10-xen0.  Same results.  I tried directly
editing .config to say that sunrpc should be compiled as a module.  No
change.

What am I doing wrong? How does one install an NFS server on an
unprivileged domain? Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net