RE: [Xen-users] Can a domU app determine its own domain ID

To: "Alan Greenspan" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Can a domU app determine its own domain ID
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:17:33 +0100
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:17:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Can an app running on a domU determine the domU's domain ID?
>  I'm thinking of a scenario where an app might want to
> auto-generate a unique IP address keyed off its domain ID.

Not easily, and domid's probably aren't the best thing to use for this
anyhow.

Why not just arrange to pass in some identifier on the kernel command
line? It will be available as an environment variable within startup
scripts.

We've used this technique on the demo CD, for example, to pass in IP and
port details of the VNC listner for the Xvnc server to connect back to.

Ian