Re: [Xen-users] SMP and CPU hyperthreading

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SMP and CPU hyperthreading
From: "Mark A. Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:14:04 -0400
Cc: "Lars E. D. Jensen | DCmedia" <ledj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:14:02 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a server with SMP and the CPUs support HyperThreading. I can start
> domU on cpu = 0, cpu = 1, cpu = 2 and cpu =3.
>
> I read that there's basic support for HyperThreading, what does this mean?

In this case, it means Xen will enumerate hyperthreads and allow you to start
domains on them.  It's "basic" because it's probably sub-optimal for many
uses to run two different guests on one CPU.  More intelligent treatment of
hyperthreads (e.g. allowing guests to be HT aware) might appear some time in
the future...

> And how is performance on 0,1,2 and 3 with HyperThreading compared to
> non-HyperThreading CPUs 0 and 1? Is 2 weaker than a non-HyperThreading 0?
> Would it better to disable HyperThreading with noht as boot option?

Using hyperthreads may improve IO performance by allowing dom0's IO routines
to run concurrently with the domU, reducing context switching overhead.  For
some workloads it might increase performance, for others it may make no
difference (or harm performance).  YMMV.

There's not much point using the noht flag.  Just pin the domains to the
logical processors you want to use.  If you don't want to use both threads on
a core then just assign domains to one of them.

Cheers,
Mark