[Xen-users] Xen partitions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen partitions
From: Shahzad Chohan <shahzad.chohan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:44:27 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:44:48 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

Just an information enquiry about how xen views the partitions on a disk.

Basially I installed Fedora on a partition (partition was /xen4) from
teh fedora cd's. Much like a normal install except for installing a
boot loader. I then configured the fedora file in the /etc/xen
directory, to the following:

kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1226_FC4xenU"
memory = 100
name = "fc-4"
nics = 1
disk = ['phy:hda7,hda7,w']
root = "/dev/hda7 ro"

And then started the domain. The domain came up ok, except for kudzu
complaining about missing hardware. I continued to use it fine and
then realised that I had not re-configured /etc/fstab in the fc-4
domain. So /etc/fstab looked like this

/dev/hda7             /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda12              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

My question is how did the domain work and boot up. I thought I had to
reconfigure the file in the /etc/xen/ directory and /etc/fstab in the
domain to be sda, e.g. sda1.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Shaz