xen-tools

[Xen-tools] Question about register value changes during domain suspend

To: xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-tools] Question about register value changes during domain suspend
From: "shubhraprakash das" <shubhraprakash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:30:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:30:21 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=xxJWWRyRO5uu5Hgz1MleUsZGO1staO9YlojC+bwWmNE=; b=BMUZSFDKHsO2TWiyveQlJ88S9B45NBeH8hrtPDAxxW+xoihTc0xBqsGCKVnTVdRCH9JoE4qCvIcoKfHH1nxgKiu/r6Ttsgfbah3wMzM8xbvJ8lPw4E9CH4u+Mho1EWlohzxtGbfg+FAFB31uHN0wpCqjzBgfy0Zdq/5xeOdNdXI=
Sender: xen-tools-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am trying to take a checkpoint of a running domain after pausing it
instead of suspending it. I browsed the code in
tools/libxc/xc_linux_save.c and changed the call to
suspend_and_state() to domain_pause(). After doing this, the
checkpoint gives an error while trying to translate the value in
register edx from mfn to pfn. Besides that I also found that the
control register 3 undergoes some translation before it is saved as
part of the checkpoint.

I guess the suspend code changes certain values in the registers in
order to enable the checkpoint to be taken. Can anyone shed some light
on why these changes are required and where in the xend code are these
changes made during suspend.

Thanks,
Shubh