xen-tools

Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-tools] xen doesn't support "Framebuffer console

To: Robert Mortimer <rmortimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-tools] xen doesn't support "Framebuffer consolesupport"properly
From: Mathieu Ropert <mro@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:31:19 +0200
Cc: xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew Liu <liushengping@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:50:09 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Basically, *any* screen output require access to video memory :)
However, Xen offer a virtual console facility to domU so they can output things, but it's a text-only console (although they are some projects of providing a virtual framebuffer support). Dom0 has direct access to video memory so it shouldn't be a problem to use framebuffer on it.

Mathieu

Robert Mortimer wrote:

Is this a DomU or a Dom0 kernel?

From my scant understanding the following is true:-

only Dom0 gets to see the true hardware still runs above the hypervisor

If frambuffer mode requires direct access to hardware then it may not work.
I am not positive but does frambuffer involves direct writing to video
memory

DomU gets to see idealized Xen hardware and presumably uses some sort of Xen
video driver.

DomU does no direct rendering to screen instead it uses VNC

I may however be so so wrong as I am a bit new to this

Robert