xen-tools

RE: [Xen-tools] [RFC] Daemon startup order

To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-tools] [RFC] Daemon startup order
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:58:02 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:01:48 +0000
Sender: xen-tools-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> This creates a bit of a chicken and the egg problem since
> consoled needs xenstored to function.  There's a few options:
>
> 1) Have consoled (and all future daemons) implement the logic
> to wait for xenstored to start
> 2) Move xenstored launching to xend (the script in tools/misc)
> 3) Give all the daemons proper init.d scripts with dependencies
>
> I'm partial to #3 although #2 would be a fine quick hack.
>
> For now, if anyone gets messages about not being able to read
> the tty with xm console, simply run consoled.

I think I prefer #2  --  you need all of them running to do anything
useful, so might as well start them all from one place.

The only question is over things like xensv (web interface) that are
more complex and optional. They could be started from rc scripts, or
from xend after parsing xend-config.sxp

Best,
Ian