xen-tools

[Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-tools] [RFC] xm interface proposed changes

To: "Sean Dague" <sean@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-tools] [RFC] xm interface proposed changes
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:10:48 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:09:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sean,

Thanks for having a go at this. I've appended a few suggestions in-line.

> ---------XM Proposed-----------------------------------------------
> help                Print help.
>
> Commands related to consoles:
>
> console <DomId>  Open a console to a domain.
> * console-list        Get information about domain consoles.
>
> Commands on domains:
>
> domid   <DomName>         Convert a domain name to a domain id.
> domname <DomId>           Convert a domain id to a domain name.
>
> create  <ConfigFile>      Create a domain.
> destroy <DomId>           Terminate a domain immediately.
> restore <File>            Create a domain from a saved state.
> save    <DomId> <File>    Save domain state (and config) to file.
> * shutdown [-w|-a] <DomId>  Shutdown a domain.
> + reboot   [-w|-a] <DomId>  Reboot a domain.
>
> list                      List information about domains.
>
> * mem-max <DomId> <Mem>             Set domain maximum memory limit.
> * mem-set <DomId> <Mem>             Set the domain's memory
> dynamically.

I think this should be mem-set-max and mem-set-target ?

> * cpus-set <DomId> <VCpu> <CPUS>    Set which cpus a VCPU can use.

I'm not sure about this one, but an struggling to think of anything
better.
cpu-set-affinity ?

> + cpus-list <DomId> <VCpu>          Get the list of cpus for a VCPU
> * vcpu-enable <DomId> <VCPU>        Disable VCPU in a domain.
> + vcpu-disable <DomId> <VCPU>       Enable VCPU in a domain
> + vcpu-list <DomId>                 Get the list of VCPUs for a domain
>
> migrate [options] <DomId> <Host> Migrate a domain to another machine.
>
> sysrq   <DomId> <letter>    Send a sysrq to a domain.
> pause   <DomId>           Pause execution of a domain.
> unpause <DomId>           Unpause a paused domain.

Perhaps we should list these with the other domain-specific ones e.g.
shutdown and friends.

> Commands related to the xen host (node):
>
> dmesg   [--clear]         Read or clear Xen's message buffer.
> info                      Get information about the xen host.
> log                       Print the xend log.
>
> Comands controlling scheduling:
>
> bvt DOM MCUADV WARPBACK WARPVALUE WARPL WARPU   Set BVT
> scheduler parameters.
> bvt_ctxallow CTX_ALLOW                          Set the BVT
> scheduler context switch allowance.
> sedf DOM PERIOD SLICE LATENCY EXTRATIME WEIGHT  Set simple
> EDF parameters.

It would be nice to list only the ones for the currenty active
scheduler, or at least have it such that the commands fail if the
scheduler isn't in use.

> Commands related to virtual block devices:
>
> * block-create <DomId> <BackDev> <FrontDev> <Mode>
> [BackDomId]    Create a new virtual block device for a domain
> * block-destroy <DomId> <DevId>  Destroy a domain's virtual
> block device

add/remove (or add/del) might sound a little less brutal than
create/destroy.

> * block-list    <DomId>          List virtual block devices
> for a domain.
> * block-refresh <DomId> <DevId>  Refresh a virtual block
> device for a domain
>
> Commands related to virtual network interfaces:
>
> * network-limit   <DomId> <Vif> <Credit> <Period> Limit the
> transmission rate of a virtual network interface.
> * network-list    <DomId> List virtual network interfaces for
> a domain.

We should have commands for network-add and network-del.

In fact, are network and block the right nouns?
Would vblock/vnetif be better?

Best,
Ian