xen-smartio

[Xen-devel] Problem with Xen-SmartIO IB setup for multiple VMs

To: xen-smartio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Problem with Xen-SmartIO IB setup for multiple VMs
From: "Mukil Kesavan" <mukilk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:11:20 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:12:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I tweaked the xen-smartio (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSmartIO) code to enable support for setting up IB in multiple VMs. I can load the ib_gmthca module in two VMs but not more than that! It is kind of strange why this would be observed as in general if the code works for two, it should work for 3 or more as well subject to the limit specified in the program.

Is there anything inherent in the way the socket communication is used to setup communication between dom0 and domu that prevents more than 2 VMs from using IB simultaneously on the same physical machine (I've set the number of threads and devices to 16)? I can't get any debug traces as well after the second VM's IB module has been setup. The dom0 module just seems to freeze and be non-responsive thereafter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mukil