xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] making xen tools on dom0 can be slow

To: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [XenPPC] making xen tools on dom0 can be slow
From: Maria Butrico <butrico@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:48:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:50:47 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This was discussed yesterday and it was suggested that I should enter a bug
for this.  Since then I have done a few experiments:

By default dom0 has 64M.  Under these condition make tools takes 24 minutes
on a js20.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/j9/xen-ppc/tools'

real    24m1.321s
user    0m34.716s
sys     0m23.272s

I have found this is about the case on average.  This is with the xen
source tree on nfs.  I dismiss this as a network related problem since I
see no evidence of this.

By changing xen to give 128M to each domain and therefore to dom0, the same
make, also with source over nfs takes less than 2 minutes.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/j9/xen-ppc/tools'

real    1m15.445s
user    0m32.800s
sys     0m14.753s

I will not enter this as a bug.  If anything the bug is that one might not
specify the memory size for dom0.

(On a related note, once we alter xen to give each domain 128M, xm create
no longer works.  Jimi is debugging this.)

Also I reported slowness for starting xend.  I am still working with this
and will post to the list as soon as I have more data.  Simply giving more
memory to dom0 does not fix the slow xend start problem.

Maria Butrico    <internet or sametime: butrico@xxxxxxxxxx;     Notes:
Maria Butrico/Watson/IBM>