xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] Re: XEN for PPC

Hi Jimmy, I'm CCing xen-ppc-devel so that others can see the answers as
well.

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 08:13 -0400, Jimmy Markakis wrote:

> Will XEN for PowerPC be compatible with an Apple PowerMac 2.5GHz
> Quad-core PowerPC G5 (running Linux of course)?

Yes and no. The "non-hypervisor" code will be able to run on such a
system, but that development is not yet complete and not integrated with
the rest of the PowerPC Xen work. So right now the answer is "no, not
unless you can help with the hacking."

> Will it support guests of both the PowerPC and X86 architectures?

Definitely not. If you want to run x86 binaries, you need to do it on an
x86 processor or with an x86 emulator. Hypervisors, including Xen, do
not address that problem.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center