xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] JS21 serial port address

To: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [XenPPC] JS21 serial port address
From: Maria Butrico <butrico@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 17:33:07 -0400
Cc: Segher Boessenkool <BOESSEN@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:33:45 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We are currently having troubles locating the serial port address on the JS21.

The machine has two serial ports one at address 2f8 and the other at 3f8 both off the isa bus. We believe that 3f8 is wired to serial over lan. Thanks to a very enterprising colleague we have wired the port at 2f8 to a real serial cable. The firmware is SLOF.

When we boot Linux or Xen SLOF declares to be using 2f8 as the serial device. Booting Xen or linux we see this on the console

--------

has started execution, serial console @ 2f8

---------

Both linux and Xen ask OF about its output device. This is the output from Linux:

OF stdout device is: /ht/isa@8/serial@3f8

Xen receives a similar answer. Since Xen uses it as the serial address we end talking to the wrong port. Linux recovers since it can be told as boot argument which tty to use. Any ideas as to what could be going on here?