xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] Re: Howto build the xen blob and zImage with init rd

On Mar 13, 2006, at 9:05 PM, Maria Butrico wrote:

Well it works only in the sense that make completes with no errors producing a rather large xen file :). However, the file does not boot on hardware nor does it boot on the simulator (mambo). I suspect a file format error

On the simulator:

I'll adress the simulator issue in another mail, assuming the solution below does not solve it :)
On a G5

Alternate yaboot.conf: yaboot.conf.kxs8
Config file read, 234 bytes
Enter 'install' to boot the installer, or 'install-safe' if you have problems booting
Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot: k42
Please wait, loading kernel...

Can't read Elf e_ident/e_type/e_machine info

Hollis reminds me that a full vmlinux may just be too big.
you need to strip vmlinux before you link it in.. so

$ powerpc64-linux-objcopy --strip-all vmlinux vmlinux.strip
the make DOM0_IMAGE point to vmlinux.strip

-JX