xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] [patch] Added dev64.h file provided by linux include set bu

To: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [XenPPC] [patch] Added dev64.h file provided by linux include set but not by gcc include set
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:47:08 -0600
Cc: Maria Butrico <butrico@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 21:48:00 +0000
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 08 March 2006 15:26, Maria Butrico wrote:
> We could expect that in my version of things __div64_32 is used only when
> "#elif BITS_PER_LONG == 32".  Is this the environment under which we build
> xen?

You're right, it's not. I guess I see two alternatives:
1) Copy linux/asm-generic/div64.h. In this case we are covered for 32-bit in
the future, though I admit I'm not worried about that now.
2) Write our own wrapper, for 64-bit only. It's so small, there is no need to
bring in Linux copyrights...

I would prefer not to bring in the code you posted:
a) It brings in Linux copyrights (and it seems to me that "PPC64 Team" is
rather ambiguous anyways) for something that should be trivial for us to
write ourselves.
b) It doesn't even get us 32-bit support.
c) It's already obsolete in Linux anyways.

In general I'm ok with bringing in Linux code, but only if it gets us
something complex we'd rather not deal with ourselves, and this example
doesn't seem to pass that test. (As another example, the MPIC driver does
pass that test.)

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center