xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] Re: linux make

On Feb 21, 2006, at 6:38 PM, Maria Butrico wrote:

problem 1)  I have not yet cloned the linux tree, but there is a linux
directory already in my clone of xen. It is called linux-2.6-xen- sparse.
What is this?

This is how the Xen guys track linux changes.
One day they will switch to a separate repo, and have started one, but the migration is going slowly :) for PPC please use the linux tree that the wiki (http:// wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen/PPC) refers to is is a child of the separate repo I refer to above.

  When I clone the linux repo. I guess I should use a
different name

you can use whatever name you want. it is a separate repo.

problem 2)  do I have to clone linux and xen under the same root?

not at all. I do it cuz I have several linux trees and this one is specific to linux work so I have
        work/xen/xen-ppc
        work/xen/linux/linux-2.6
        work/xen/linux/build

Note that linux can be built separate from the source space (a very nice feature)
for reference here is my build sequence:
$ make -C ~/work/xen/linux/linux-2.6 ARCH=powerpc O=../build CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc64-linux- CROSS32_COMPILE=powerpc-linux- zImage

to config use the same line but replace "zImage" with "xen_maple_defconfig"

If your default compiler is problematic (< V. 3.4.4?) then add "CC=powerpc64-linux-gcc-3.4.4" or whatever the right compiler command is.

I was able to build the cross tools on a machine with a bad
clock. I build 3.4.1 and not 3.4.4. That's what the script did. Should I
have changed some other thing in the script?
Have not used crosstools in a while, I recall it being pretty straight forward tho.

I was not able to build the cross tools on another, where Michal upgraded the native compiler to gcc-4.0. I am going to try and build the tools with
gcc 3.3, if I can figure out how.

Do you suspect that gcc-4.0 cannot build crosstools? interesting you should let the maintainer know this.
let us know how it goes.
-JX