xen-merge

Re: [Xen-merge] AMD64 dma-mapping

On 24 Jan 2006, at 21:58, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

Is there a particular reason that Xen merge doesn't want
to use lib/swiotlb.c and instead prefers
arch/i386/kernel/swiotlb.c instead?

Yeah - it's substantially different. I hope the differences can be
narrowed down and code duplication minimized, possibly with judicious
use of dma-ops, but that will wait until the merge happens.

I wrote the xen-specific swiotlb (ripped off from arch/ia64), and really the only xen-specific part of the swiotlb implementation should be that we need to take special care during initialisation that the aperture contains contiguous machine memory. Apart from that, I expect we need care to distinnguish between phys and machine addresses, but I would expect no other differences.

I suspect our best bet is to take lib/swiotlb.c and work out minimal changes to get it working on xen, cribbing from xen-specific swiotlb where there are particular problems, rather than try and do a full merge of the two swiotlbs. This is because most differences are probably insignificant/gratuitous.

If someone who is already very familiar with the dma-mapping interfaces wanted to investigate this, that would be super. :-)

 -- Keir