xen-merge

Re: [Xen-merge] arch/i386/mach-xen/mm/highmem.c indentical

On 9 Aug 2005, at 18:27, Andi Kleen wrote:

 2. queue_l1_update. This is best used for singleton updates. The
'queue' in the name is a bit of a misnomer as we now no longer ever
queue things because: (a) working out where to put the flushes to avoid
read-after-write hazards on pending updates is hard, and  (b) its
impossible to make SMP guests work with good perofrmance. [This is one

Can you explain the SMP guest problem in more detail?

The queued interface as it stands cannot work correctly for SMP guests because it provides no atomic read-modify-write command. So you cannot atomically toggle pte flags or xchg with zero, or any of the other atomic things you need to do for safety on SMP. We could add some atomic commands, but our solution was just to move over to writable pagetables which have a simpler interface for guests and good batching performance.

 -- Keir