Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen Itanium features available in Xen HVM?

To: Kayvan Sylvan <kayvan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen Itanium features available in Xen HVM?
From: tgingold@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:22:50 +0200
Cc: Paul Leisy <pleisy@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:26:06 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Kayvan Sylvan <kayvan@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi everyone,
>

> We have some questions about the HVM roadmap and features.
>

> According to the Wiki, Fujitsu is working on getting other operating systems
> running as HVM guests. Tristan appears to be working on getting openVMS
> running and then HP-UX.

Right for me.

> >From what I gather from posts here, the major roadblock to HP-UX is
> protection key support.

Not yet.  The HP-UX efi loader crashes very early.  This is currently
blocking.  I need either help from HP *or* time to investigate.

> Does anyone know the big picture of HVM features:
>
> - What Itanium architecture features are supported by HVM guests now?

Most of them :-)

> - What Itanium architecture features are not supported now?

Protection registers.  I think that's almost it.

> - What features are most likely needed by openVMS?

OpenVMS now works on Xen/ia64.  There are still a few issues however (e.g. UP
only).

> - What features are most likely needed by HP-UX?

Protection registers.

> Thank you very much, any answers would be much appreciated.

You're welcome!

Tristan.