Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] priv_handle_op fails on bootup, machine hangs

To: Kayvan Sylvan <kayvan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] priv_handle_op fails on bootup, machine hangs
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 11:57:10 -0700
Cc: "xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:57:25 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 10:42 -0800, Kayvan Sylvan wrote:
> I’m loving this. Ife is exciting on the bleeding… uhhh…  leading edge.
>
> I now have a new failure mode. On bootup of an IA64 Xen-3.3-unstable
> machine, I am seeing this:
> (XEN)   already assigned pte_val 0x081000043b0646e1
>
> (XEN)   mpaddr 0x0000200000000000 physaddr 0x0000200000000000 flags
> 0x2
>
> (XEN) priv_emulate: priv_handle_op fails, isr=0x20
> iip=a000000100083eb0

> And the machine hangs.

> Any advice for how to fix this? Is there anything I can do to get more
> info?

   I haven't see that problem, what changeset are you on and what was
the last one that booted?  When you say ia64 xen-3.3-unstable tree, you
mean this: http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/ia64/xen-unstable.hg/ right?

   Mercurial has a very good bisecting tool that can help you narrow
down a changeset that introduced a problem.  Start with 'hg bisect
init'.  If tip is bad, run 'hg bisect bad tip'.  Find a good point, like
perhaps the last merge with upstream on Monday, and do 'hg bisect good
0695363214c3'.  From there, hg will change your view of the tree to
something in the middle, and you can build and test.  Report back to hg
with 'hg bisect good|bad' depending on the results and hg will give you
another changeset to try.  Build, test, repeat.  At the end, hg will
tell you which changeset introduced the problem.

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.